BEFORE

BEFORE
Our humble abode and the modern tudor it shall become...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 160 something...we are so close yet soooo far away

So in the last few weeks we have been working to finalize the details of the finishes of our 2nd floor.   We have been dealing with "fixing" the imperfections that the american subcontractors obviously do not see.  If nothing else I am sure that this is probably not the industry for me and my eye for perfection. I walk into a space and can tell you every imperfection, mistake and mishap. It is a curse but great for my clients!!  It is horrible in this situation because nothign is good enough for my own house but I can't reemthe guys because i have ot work with them at my projects!!  They think I am crazy, but you knwo what ..I am paying for this and I want what I want.

Please in your own process be very clear about your expectations providing pictures, samples of the finishes you are looking for. The clearer and more precise you are the easier it will be to request a "redo" at no extra charge.  If you state your desire upfront with samples and pictures the contractor has the chance to say "that is not how I priced the work" or to tell you he can not achieve that level of finish. if he does not speak up, he has officially bought into your concept and agreed to it. I made the mistake of not being as demanding with the guys as I am on a regular job site..I did show examples but didn't see it through - checking them every step of the way, and more importantly stopping them when they lost their course.  What am I left with now? well...

We are finishing our floors next week and the painter is back on Thursday to redo ALL of the new trim.  The paint job was horrendous and my new expensive trim material looks like it has been painted 6 times over and is 10+ years old!  SO yes he is redoing it ALL...I am even willing to pay someone to fix it if he cant.  Paint is the most important finish - trim paint is what it is all about!! Cut corners on wall painting and do it yourself, but pay a TOP professional to paint your trim!!

There are some positives - the lights are up and the countertops are going in Tuesday..check us out...

Master Bedroom - Gray wall, can lights and fan..

Master WALK IN Closet!!

Master bathroom pendant lights...

  Our bathroom uncovered - waiting on countertops..
 
Viola's blue room! Actually totally relaxing..like in the ocean...

My DISCO Stairwell....have glass disco balls!  Will change to back wall to gray to make the lights POP...

Viola's "green" bathroom...she loves it...

Viola's bathroom sconce..

Now we have to pick floor colors - we are going LIGHT upstairs and dark downstairs...we like the middle slightly pink color and the the second dark one from the left for the main floor and stairs.


More pics to come with more finishes...We are starting with the design selection for the 1st floor and GUESS WHAT - the scope has increased 10 fold....LIKE always....you cant touch something old and not want to fix it ALL!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment