BEFORE

BEFORE
Our humble abode and the modern tudor it shall become...

Saturday, February 5, 2011

DAY ... oh whatever!

Let me start by commenting on my last post...The house I went to see was truly amazing and beautiful...I didn't want to take away from that at all - there is a grand master suite with this incredible tiled master spa area, amazing paint colors throughout and master wood trim work GALORE.  Even more amazing is that this whole HUGE project was done in such a short amount of time under obvious tremendous pressure- kudos to the coordinator because there was a lot to contend with there!!  My comments had nothing to do with the workmanship but rather simply the contractors in general - this "breed" of workers...that even when they are working on this "famous" house, they are still contractors generating lots of trash, wearing dirty boots everywhere, and acting with a general "bull in a china shop" character.  It simply made me realize that sh_t happens everywhere and there is always a pretty easy fix.  We just cant be scared to ask for MORE and to ask that they repair the "damage".  If you can go through your renovation with that mentality, I think you will have a LOT less stress and actually might even enjoy the process! That HGTV homeowner just walked through the place without batting an eye, raising his voice or freaking out.  If he can handle it like that, then so can we!! :)  Dirt, dust, trash and imperfections are just part of the process - LEARN to EMBRACE them...let's see how long I can hold that thought!!

Now back to my house....This weather is really causing some issues for me.  I cant get the block work done so we can set the house properly on the brick columns.  I need to be able to set the hosue NOW so it has time to do it's settling, which IT WILL. Everyone has to understand that new construction will settle.  It is inevitable...it will cause the caulk to crack and things will have to be "adjusted" 6 months after moving back in. I mean think about it, you churn up the earth, pour new concrete footings and set a new structure on top of them.  On top of an area that has never been exposed to that amount of weight.  The earth is simply going to give a little.  A GREAT tip Ruben reminded me of, is try to get all of your foundaiton work completed 4-6 weeks prior to installing your hardwoods and tile.  That gives the home a chance to do it's settling and allow the install to go smoothly. 

I am not going to have that luxury because of this weather.  Normally my house would have been up on it's new foundation early last week.  We ran into footing issues and now weather issues.  My tile could conceivably go in in 3 weeks if all went well.  I may push it back 2 weeks so the house can sit on it's new foundation for at least 3-4 weeks.  That isn't the best with my goal of 3 months but mother nature is not helping me!

I will post some pics shortly...got new electrical in, so great to see the old silver wires and fuse boxes gone!  The new copper plumbing is in...all shiny and new.  more to come...



No comments:

Post a Comment