BEFORE

BEFORE
Our humble abode and the modern tudor it shall become...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DAY 1 - SNOW and DEMO work, an optimal combo!

Okay so this is actually DAY 2 but since my start date was postponned due to the inconvenience of a nsaty snow storm, I had to recalculate.

DAY 1 went great.  Ruben, my framer - guardian - and overall site protector - showed up at 8 am sharp with men in tow.  It was site protection time.  My husband and I, with the idea of Ruben, decided we could save money by living in the home while we renovate! Okay so we only have one child and have lived in Europe for the last 12 years - we can adapt to 1000sf of living space easier than most.  The plan is to renovate the 2nd floor first, then move back up and tackle the first floor.  I only recommend this for SMALL families with kids 8+ years old!

We have sealed a passage way for the subcontractors to enter my front door and head straight upstairs with no contact with the family on the first floor.  For added protection, my husband and I hung 6 mil plastic across the ceilings of the main living space and bathroom to "catch" the pieces of plaster that are BOUND to fall when the begin to demo my 2nd floor. We even have drop plastic cloths to lay over our bed and clothes each day - JUST in case! 

Ruben and the boys demo'd my daughter's room which will become the new Master Suite...I think the roof will come off tomorrow or Thursday!

My list of ToDo's - order windows,  finalize design decisions and check into interior door prices!  Oh and I have to go back to work tomorrow too! We are digging under a house that is  sitting on piers! 

Pictures to come in tomorrow's post!











2 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!! I can't wait to watch this project...hopefully to inspire us to do some changes ourselves! Congratulations on starting in the middle of a snow storm! I have no doubt, you'll be the one to get this project completed in record time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - that would be our house sitting on piers! Get back to work, lady! And that goes for Ruben, too!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete