BEFORE

BEFORE
Our humble abode and the modern tudor it shall become...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

DAY 11 - It's all in the Details

So not much to show with pictures, but a lot of details got taken care of today. The framers are finishing up those details inside - adding blocking to the floor joists in order to keep the "squeaking" of the new hardwoods to a minimum, pulling out all old nails in existing framing (this is key to proper sheetrock installation - have your framer do this because your sheetrock guys will not and that leaves you open to the potential to have "nail pops" which are those weird little buldges you sometimes see in sheetrocked walls over time), leveling up all walls (not just vertically but also horizontally, especially where tile will be installed), and checking all measurements.  The also added plywood decking to my new 8ft high attic space for storage.  I have never had so much storage, EVER..I think that may be the highlight of the whole project! :)

Outside the continue to put up the board and batten siding.  Make sure your guys check for rotted wood, add flashing around windows to keep water out, and use mitered joints where applicable for a cleaner look.  We are just waiting on my windows to be delivered so we can finish the exterior work.  This is the most important order you will make at the start - windows.  They are crucial for the timely completion of any project.  If they aren't delivered this week, then Ruben will have to come back AGAIN to not only install them but also to apply the exterior trim and siding around them.

I entered an HGTV show contest to have them send my family on a vacation after all of this is said and done!!  Keep your fingers crossed that they pick us because we will NEED it after this...I can't take many more "disasters".  I have 2 mor eunknowns that could blow my budget even farther out of the water - plumbing and electrical.  Plumbing looks shabby in the existing bath..might need a complete rehall which was not budgeted.  And the electrical - WELL in my haste I made the decision to gut my daughter's room so that we would no longer have any plaster walls on teh second floor without much thought to the fact that I may NOW be required to upgrade the electrical work in the ENTIRE home.

When guttign rooms in your older home, keep in mind that most City Inspectors will require you to bring the ENTIRE home up to code if more than 50% is opened up.  I may need to get nit picky and calculate my opened wall and ceiling sf so I can fight the City if they tell me this.  I might be at 49.975% but that is still under 50% in my book!!  I will look at this closer next week when the electrician starts - which by the way I am still evaluating bids on!!  There is so much to consider when renovating, make a checklist of things I bring up because they could turn around and bite you if you ignore them!!





No comments:

Post a Comment