BEFORE

BEFORE
Our humble abode and the modern tudor it shall become...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

DAY 7 - Gas is low...

The fellas got a lot done today but I can't say the same for me.  I spent the night in newnan to avoid the chaos only to come home to it later after work today.  I spent about 5 hours cleaning and only made a small dent in the dust removal from the room.  Good news is we have little permanent damage to our furnishings..a few chips off things here and there - just LOTS of dust that does not clean up easily.

There is a bright side - The entire second floor got framed out today - I have a bathroom, shower, closet and trey/vaulted ceilings.  It looks great.  I will post pictures first thing in the morning.   Ruben just put down plywood over the hole below and kept on going!  Now is the time I need to decide on medicine cabinets, shower/tub wall niche locations, final wall, built in locations, door sizes, etc.  Now the framing I request is included in the price, later after the first attempt and I change something I am opening myself up to upcharges!

Tomorrow they will demo the existing bath which is over the bath I am currentl using.  There is a 7:30 am pow wow about setting up the best site protection after yeasterday's fiasco.  I am not sure I can take another crashed ceiling.  Ruben and I will met to determine the best way to protect my current space.

There are a few things to consider when living in the home during your renovation.  You need to set the ground rules for access into the current living space - you need to tell the lead person how you want this to work.   Some good ones to follow would be:

1. Have the lead framer/contact call you before they enter your space if you are not home. 
2. Have the guys must take their shoes off EVERY time before entering - this did NOT happen today so we will discuss that tomorrow as well!!
3.  The interior space where they are working should be protected - floor protection, plastic to keep dust limited to the working area if applicable, items moved out of harms' way, etc.
4. They should make every effort to check the space once they are done working there for debris, nails, whatever doesnt belong needs to be cleaned up. 

The extra effort is maybe more than they are used to doing, but a HAPPY client is the BEST client!  Don't hesitate to state the rules.

I am truly exhausted at this point - not from the project but from the clean up of this never ending dirt/dust that was the result of yesterday's mishap.  This too shall pass.  OH did I mention that they shattered a bottom sash of on of the master bedroom windows today??  Ruben just bought himself a new window!  That one is on his dollar at least!  I can remain calm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment